Burn Permit


Burn Permit Online Form Available at: Burn Permit Online Form

Please see information about burning Natural Vegetation burning below.

Please visit the following links to stay up-to-date on current Burn Bans imposed by Puget Sound Clean Air or the King Count Fire Marshal, since the weather may have an impact on burn bans.

You may visit Puget Sound Clean Air's website to see the current status at the following link:

You may sign-up for alerts from Puget Sound Clean Air at the following link:

For information on potential Burn Bans from King County Fire Marshal, go to: https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/local-services/permits/fire-safety/burn-bans-fireworks.aspx

You may also call the Mountain View Fire and Rescue Burn Ban Hotline at: 253-735-0286

Burn Permit Information

There is no cost to obtain a Burn Permit from Mountain View Fire and Rescue. Burn Permits are to be obtained by going to our Burn Permit Form. 

All information/ cells on the form must be completed in order for the permit to be "valid".

Permits are valid for the burning of Natural Vegetation only with a maximum burn area of 4' x 4' x 3', and subject to the rules and regulations of Washington State, Puget Sound Clean Air, King County and the Mountain View Fire and Rescue. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations may result in the forfeiture of a permit and/or financial restitution to the above mentioned entities, for actions taken to mitigate the permittee and failure to follow these regulations and rules.

This permit is valid for the address listed only and is non-transferable (natural vegetation cannot be moved from one parcel to another for burning). This permit must be available for inspection by Fire Department Personnel while the permittee is burning vegetation.

No Burn Permits can be issued to the City of Black Diamond residents or any urban growth development area. State law prohibits burning of yard waste vegetation within City limits.

Recreational fires are permitted, be sure to review the Recreational Fire Information PDF, located to the right side of this page. 

III. Restrictions on Outdoor Fires

It shall be unlawful for any person to cause or allow any outdoor fire:
  • 3.1 During any stage of any air pollution episode or period of impaired air quality
  • 3.2 Containing garbage, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber products, plastics or any substance other than natural vegetation which normally emits dense smoke or obnoxious odors
  • 3.3 Other than the following types:
    1. Fires for instruction in the method of fighting fires (except forest fires).
    2. Fires associated with agricultural activities for controlling diseases, insects, weed abatement or development of physiological conditions conducive to increased crop yield, provided written confirmation has been furnished by a designated county extension agent or agricultural specialist designated by the Cooperative Extension Service that burning is the best management practice, and prior written approval has been issued by the Control Officer.
Fires no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet in diameter, consisting of leaves, clippings, pruning, and other yard and gardening natural vegetation refuse originating on lands immediately adjacent and in close proximity to a human dwelling and burned on such lands by the property owner or his or her designee, provided a permit has been issued.

If a person starts a fire with a permit required by this resolution or if a permit holder fails to comply with any provision of this resolution pertaining to fire permits, or of any term or condition of the permit, and as a result of that failure the district is required to suppress a fire, the person or permit holder is liable to the district to reimburse it for the costs of the fire suppression services pursuant to RCW 52.12.108.

This permit may be canceled at any time on complaint or danger of, violation of conditions, nuisance from smoke or fly ash, or if prevailing weather so warrants and the fire must be immediately extinguished. The Fire Chief and/or designee have the authority to ban any and all burning at any time.

No Burning Shall Take Place During the Following Periods

  • Burn Bans issued by the Fire Department or County Fire Marshal.
  • Burn Bans issued by Puget Sound Air Pollution Agency.
  • July 1 through Labor Day, unless extended due to fire hazard.

Burning may be limited during the months of June and September. Please check the website or call (253) 735-0286 before you burn.